Many traditional approaches and methods for economic development are failing to keep up with the changing nature of job creation and investment in our communities. I will submit that even those traditional measures, jobs and investment totals, that have been sacrosanct for the last 50 years, are losing relevancy. Why? Read this article and open your mind to new possibilities.
So what will drive the fourth economy?
- Investment – are companies and individuals investing in your community?
- Talent – do you have a pipeline of educated workers?
- Sustainability – do you consider the triple bottom line in making investment choices?
- Place – do people enjoy living in your community?
- Diversity – are new people including women and minorities welcomed into and supported by your community?